When it comes time to unplug your desktop or laptop for you next move, it’s helpful to know how you should prepare and protect it before moving day. To help get you started, we’ve thought of a few pointers to keep in mind when planning to move your home or work computer.
- Save Everything – This is a crucial point to follow before you do anything else with your computer. It’s always recommended to perform a backup of your computer’s data on a regular basis. Doing so before packing your computer up for moving is no exception. The best places to back up your computer’s files would be either on an external hard drive or on an online backup service. Because the process can take several hours for most drives, we recommend starting it at least one or two days before moving.
- Disconnect Early – If you disconnect your computer right before packing it, there’s a good chance the equipment will still be warm from usage. Packaging your computer in a closed space immediately after using it can create risks of damaging your hardware and information, causing it to function less accurately upon restarting it. To avoid this, it’s suggested that you try and unplug your device at least two hours before packing it.
- The Right Boxes – The best box you can use to pack your computer for moving would be the box it originally came in. Not only does it have padding and protection for your computer, but it will also have individual spaces for everything else that came with it including plugs, the mouse, the keyboard, etc. However, if you can’t find the box your computer came in, the next best option would be to use a cardboard moving box. To ensure the best protection, we’ve found that using bubble wrap offers the best stability for a computer. This will keep everything stable while also avoiding scratches to your computer’s screen.
- Cleaning – Cleaning your computer is important to do often, both before and after you move with it. Dusting and wiping off your computer’s equipment will not only keep it sanitary but also keep it from overheating from buildup. We recommend using microfiber cloths, small safety swabs and compressed air cans to ensure that your cleaning is thorough and reaches every spot in your system.
- Separate – For the sake of organization and an easier time setting up your computer upon arrival in your new home, we suggest putting your computers plugs and chargers in separate containers. It’s also a good idea to wrap them up using either simple, loose knots or with biding clips you can find in office supply stores. Be sure to have your cables and miscellaneous equipment’s boxes labeled so they can be easily located by you or your movers while travelling.
Professional Household Moving Company
Over the last 20 years, the movers of Mountain Moving & Storage have made themselves experts in moving specialty household items of all kinds. These include desktop computers, keyboards, internet cables and all other electronic items you need handled during your next relocation. With our experience and diligent moving procedures, we guarantee a safe transition of all your belongings in short time. If considering moving locally or long-distance, see our form or give our movers a call at (800) 249-2414 to receive a free moving estimate today.