- Ask family, friends and co-workers for referrals – Whom better to know how trustworthy a moving company is that someone who has already used them?
- Do your research – Check online reviews sites such as the Better Business Bureau or the American moving and Storage Association for more information.
- Schedule in-home estimates – You should aim to find three or four companies to come to your home to provide a written moving estimate.
- Be thorough – When the company estimator comes out to provide your moving quote, make sure you show them everything that needs to be moved. This helps ensure accuracy and prevents unexpected price hikes.
- Stay organized – Collect all estimates in one place and make sure they are visible during visits. Often this will encourage the estimator to provide fair and competitive quotes.
- Compare bids – Compare high versus low bids and understand the differences between them. Don’t be afraid to negotiate and ask for a better price if the estimate is outside of your budget.
- Check qualifications – Look for companies that are licensed and insured. Check for incorporation dates and cities.
- Select your company – Be sure to consider all pros and cons of each company. Don’t let price solely dictate your decision and go with the moving company you feel most confident in.
- Be present – You should always allocate the time necessary to be available for your movers. Remember to ask for a written copy of the mover’s inventory list.
[pullquote]Using these easy tips will help you shop around and have your belongings loaded and on their way to your new destination in no time at all.[/pullquote] So, you’ve decided to move and now you are faced with the task of finding a reputable mover. Selecting the right company for the job doesn’t have to be intimidating. Using these easy tips will help you shop around and have your belongings loaded and on their way to your new destination in no time at all.